Great question! There are four good options available that do not involve an offering plate.
1) Attend worship and, as you enter the Sanctuary, drop your offering in the offering plates located in the Family Room or the Narthex
2) You can mail your check to the church. A member of staff and/or the congregation has been getting the mail and making sure donations get deposited.
3) Use Zelle. This is a new and very easy way to make your donation online to FUMC using your phone or your computer. Zelle allows money to be sent directly between U.S. bank accounts. Perhaps you have already used this app to send money to your children in a hurry, without checks or cashing.
To use Zelle, go to your mobile banking app on your phone or tablet, choose the “Send Money” icon, and then choose "Send Money with Zelle.” [Your bank’s online website may list this option under the “Transfer Money” tab]. When asked for the recipient’s email, use firstname.lastname@example.org. You then choose the amount of money you want to send. Before confirming the transaction you will have the option of specifying the purpose of your gift. You may leave the purpose blank if you want it to counted towards general offering/pledge giving. Your name and the purpose will be associated with the donation in the church bank account statement.
4) Popmoney is offered more frequently at credit unions, while banks more frequently offer Zelle, so don't worry if you do not see Zelle on your bank's list of options for sending money. You can use Popmoney to contribute to FUMC. It is basically the same as using Zelle and you will use the new address email@example.com to send your gift.
5) In addition, Bishop Scholl and the Greater NJ Annual Conference have made it possible to donate through an online portal. Here is what the GNJUMC website says about the process.
Online giving for your congregation. We have an online giving resource that will receive contributions directed for your congregation. When we receive contributions for your church, we will send you an accounting that includes the person’s name and address and amount. Gifts received through our online portal will be sent weekly to congregations. If this is a resource that will be helpful to your congregation during this challenging season, you may forward and share this with your congregation. The link for online giving is https://www.gnjumc.org/onlinegiving/.
When you arrive at the link, fill in the information as you would for any other online purchase. At the bottom, you also will be asked to provide the following info:
Church #: 7057 Church Name: First UMC (Somerville) City: Somerville District: Raritan Valley Pastor: David C. Lehmkuhl
You then will be prompted to retain a copy of the receipt, as the Greater NJ Conference is required by law to request this. You might want to copy and past the online info into a Word file, but you also will receive a receipt through email. The emailed receipt most likely will be sufficient.
6) Finally, you can contribute through online banking. Please read the article below to learn how.